A Student's Call to Action: Why I'm Striking for Climate and You Should Too

A Student's Call to Action: Why I'm Striking for Climate and You Should Too

A Student's Call to Action Why I'm Striking for Climate and You Should Too


Subtitle: Defying Government Inaction and Fossil Fuel Reliance Threatening Our Future

As a 16-year-old student residing in western Sydney, I am compelled to take a stand against the government's failure to address the imminent climate crisis jeopardizing my future. Today, I am joining thousands of students in a school strike, a poignant act of protest against the environmental negligence that puts our lives and the planet at risk.

In my early education, I learned about climate change and its repercussions—rising sea levels, extreme temperatures, and intensified natural disasters. However, it was challenging to grasp the gravity of these consequences. The turning point came in 2019, witnessing the devastating bushfires that engulfed Australia. The images of raging flames, destroyed homes, and the ominous smoke that permeated my school left an indelible mark on my consciousness.

Growing up, I've witnessed the exacerbation of climate change globally and the unsettling reality of governmental inaction. Heatwaves claiming lives in Europe, winter storms crippling parts of the US, and our Pacific neighbors grappling with extreme cyclones and rising seas—all underscore the urgency of addressing the climate crisis.

Despite my initial hope for change with a new government, the reality has been disappointing. Approving four new coal mines this year contradicts the imperative to transition away from fossil fuels. The government's ongoing contribution to the climate crisis is not just infuriating; it's a direct threat to our collective future.

Feeling initially helpless, I realized that as a student, I have a voice and a role to play. Joining School Strike 4 Climate became my way of challenging the status quo and demanding accountability from those in power. If our leaders continue to jeopardize our future, I am determined to use my voice to effect change.

Today's strike is a collective call to action, urging all Labor politicians to align with the responsible climate policies advocated by our Pacific neighbors. We demand a shift of power away from the fossil fuel industry and a genuine commitment to a sustainable future.

To those who dismiss our protests, belittling our concerns due to our age, I want to make it clear: I will not cease advocating until the day our government stops compromising my future. To everyone feeling the weight of worry, fear, or anger about the climate crisis, I implore you to join us. Organize, protest, and send a resounding message to the Australian government—we will not stand idly by as our future, our planet, and our home face destruction.

Our voices matter, our actions count, and together, we can be the catalysts for the change our planet urgently needs.

#ClimateStrike, #StudentActivism, #ClimateActionNow, #YouthForClimate

다음 이전