Granny Bee buzzes into local classrooms, inspiring children with stories and kindness

 Granny Bee buzzes into local classrooms, inspiring children with stories and kindness


For many people, retirement is a time to slow down and relax, one woman is proving that being a 'busy bee' might just be the best part of the golden years.

At Enos Elementary school, there's a buzz of excitement in the classroom. Meet Michele Haines Lee, a volunteer who's known around town as "Granny Bee". Michelle can be found reading to students at several local schools. Her Granny Bee persona was born from an old Halloween costume from the 1990s.

"I went into the classroom and they had a volunteer who was already Grandma Kathy, so I thought I'll be Granny, Granny bee!"

Her black and yellow wardrobe comes with a contagious smile as she makes a lasting impact on every child she meets.

"Number one, I want you to be kind to those around you. I want you to read books, and I want you to treat other people the way you want to be treated."

It's not just reading, Michele's random acts of kindness can be found at Sherman Village Park, in the form of a rock garden that grew to over 500 painted rocks at its peak.

"Over the last year, many have gone to new homes. There are only 145 now, but I'd like to think that kids are still enjoying these rocks."

Michelle's a beloved member of the community, or as many would say, she's the "bees knees".

"I'm 75. I want people to know, get out there and do things. Don't waste your retirement years. People need you, children need you."

And Central Illinois needs Granny Bee, spreading joy and bringing smiles and laughter to everyone.

다음 이전